3rd Team Vs Streetly

Date 17 November 2012
Team 3rd Team
Opposition Streetly
Fixture Away
Venue Streetly School, B74 2EX
Start time 11:00
Result L 4 - 5
Time played
Match Report

Today we visited Streetly who sat a point below us in the table before start of play, The squad not in the best of health but still up the challenge.

Old Wulfs made an enterprising start and bossed the game for the first 10 minutes. Against the run of play Streetly took the lead. This spurred Old Wulfs on, the skipper broke clear and shot on goal in the melee that followed Craddock had a shot on goal which was flicked past the keeper for our equalizer.

The next 20 minutes brought a crazy spell of hockey where Old Wulfs lost their shape in the defence and midfield and managed to concede 4 times. The Streetly centre forward helping himself to 4 of the five goals.

Old Wulfs continued to play passing hockey and forced a late short corner in the first half. Up stepped Cooper (Sr) to convert the short. An extraordinary half finished 5-2 to the home team.

The half time team talk the skipper reminded the team to keep their shape and told them that we were going to take the game to the opposition.

The 2nd half began with the skipper making a nuisance of himself in the opposition D. After a series of short corners finally one was converted with the skipper deflecting a Cooper (Sr) shot past the helpless keeper.

This spurred the confidence of the Wulfs and brought doubt into the mind of the opposition. The skipper again found himself with the ball in the D, a hopeful cross bought confusion between defender and keeper and Craddock converted.

5-4 down with 20 minutes to go could we go on to complete an impossible comeback. Wulfs had plenty of possesion but couldn't make any meaningful chances. Streetly made the odd foray into Old Wulfs territory but lacked the punch of the first half.

In the last minute Rai had a chance to equalise but couldn't get his shot off, in the ensuing scramble the skipper evaded defensive tackles but couldn't get a shot on, the ball was moved past the goalkeeper and the last defender cleared. The umpire blew his whistle, penalty stroke the defender had used the back of his stick.

The home side queried the decision, the goalie removed his gloves and carried on the discussion. When the chatting was over and the keeper gloved, up stepped Cooper with the chance to equalise with the last touch of the game. Heartbreak the keeper saved and the final whistle went.

A 5-4 defeat in a game where we had the better of the play, the spell in the first half that lead to conceding 4 goals cost us dear. If we had showed the commitment of the 2nd half throughout the match we may have won the game.

Man of the Match - Craddock was a constant threat, Cooper (Jr) was at the heart of our creative efforts but today the skipper is going to award it to himself for his efforts particularly in the 2nd half


Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards