Summer League Vs Greenborne

Date 24 May 2017
Team Summer League
Opposition Greenborne
Fixture Away
Venue King Edward's School, B15 2UA
Start time 19:30
Result D 3 - 3
Time played
Match Report

Old Wulfs’ Summer League campaign continued with an away trip to King Edward’s school in Edgbaston to play Greenbourne.

Despite some tricky traffic problems, thirteen players managed to arrive in time for pushback on a hot and sunny evening. Wulfs started the game brightly, finding themselves inside the D on a handful of occasions in the first ten minutes, but unable to find the right touch to beat the keeper.

It wasn’t long, however, before they made the breakthrough. A Greenbourne foot inside their area brought about a penalty corner for Wulfs. Up stepped Shave, who unleashed a flick from the top of the D. Despite his effort flying centrally, a combination of the speed of the flick and the fact there was a fair amount of sun in the goalkeeper’s eyes, meant that it sailed past his ear and in to the net.

After that, Greenbourne started to grow into the game with one or two of their players in the middle starting to control the play. They were beginning to encroach more and more into Wulfs territory, when they equalised with a well struck hit from the top of the D.

In an increasingly competitive tie, Old Wulfs then hit back again. And again it was Shave who had a hand in it. He made an impressive surging run down the right wing, beating the left-back for pace before sending in a well-timed cross, which found Litchfield who could finish first time from a couple of yards out.

But it wasn’t long before Wulfs would let their lead slip again. Some more quality build-up play from Greenbourne earned them another goal after a scramble in the D dropped to one of their players who could finish from close range. The game was poised at half time a 2-2.

After the break, the game continued in its end-to-end style, with Wulfs especially missing some guilt-edged opportunities to take the lead. But it was Greenbourne who got the next goal after a quick break away to make it 3-2.

Players from both teams were beginning to look slightly jaded, as the intense evening heat took its toll, but the game was still in the balance. After a good attacking run into the D from Birch, he managed to win Wulfs another penalty corner, finding a Greenbourne foot. Some excellent advice from the captain, Ashworth, was for Birch to go for a straight strike. He duly obliged, performing a nicely heighted hit that evaded the keepers pad but remained low enough to slam against the backboard.

The game was seen out from then on, neither team coming very close to scoring, probably due to the heat fatigue being felt by almost everyone on the pitch.

Final score – 3-3. Man of the match – Owen Shave.

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards