Summer League Vs Telford

Date 24 May 2016
Team Summer League
Opposition Telford
Fixture Away
Venue St. Georges
Start time 19:30
Result L 4 - 5
Time played
Match Report

Old Wulfs travelled to Telford for the third game of the summer with another shuffled pack. There were only a bare eleven players, and due to unavailability as well as the 2s not having a game, Matt McNay and Callum Nightingale were selected giving them an introduction into first team hockey. They also got to experience losing by a single goal which has seemed to become something of a habit for this side.  


As they did last week, Wulfs started brightly by scoring the first goal of the match. Jandu broke into the Telford D and worked himself into a shooting position. Although his strike was an unclean reverse, the resulting bobble effect foxed the defender who deflected the ball into his own net.  


Continuing with the theme of last week, Wulfs then proceeded to give their lead away, letting in a total of three goals before the half time whistle. Two of these came from penalty corners that, although not being overly powerful, seemed to be placed in just the right parts of the goal that neither the excellent Aaron nor the defenders could get to.


Wulfs were then caught in possession before half time to let the opposition score their third, and after the break they repeated this trick to allow Telfordto break from the back and make it 4-1. 


Undeterred by this deficit, Wulfs rolled up their sleeves and started to play some better looking hockey. AlthoughTelford had a squad of circa fifteen players who were rolling on and off, the Old Wulfs eleven worked tirelessly to keep up with their opposite numbers.


A powerful surge up the right wing from Ashworth resulted in a cross that eventually found Griffiths. He then fed George who let go another reverse shot, this time connecting as sweet as half time Haribo, and slamming home into the bottom corner of the goal.


Wulfs were in the ascendency when yet another penalty corner goal from Telfordpegged them back. This one beating Dave Cartwright, who probably should have done better to block the ball at his post. But Wulfs continued to play well, bossing the possession and going close with a flurry chances.


This effort was rewarded when Birch picked up a clearance on the edge of the Telford D and struck a shot with venom that eventually beat the keeper via a big deflection from a defender’s stick. Soon after, another good move from Wulfs was started with Cartwright breaking out of defence. He found Birch who again advanced into the area and was able to slip in Nightingale who finished with a calmness that belied his teenage years, slapping the ball beyond the rushing keeper.


Unfortunately, this late surge wasn’t enough to stop Wulfs from slipping to another agonising defeat as the game finished at 5-4 to Telford. On to the next one. 

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards