Summer League Vs Bridgnorth

Date 11 May 2016
Team Summer League
Opposition Bridgnorth
Fixture Away
Venue Bridgenorth Leisure Centre
Start time 19:30
Result L 2 - 3
Time played
Match Report

The first summer league game of the season.

Wulfs pulled into a VERY rainy Bridgenorth and, on arrival at pitch side, soon had all eleven men huddled in the dugout comparing sticks and watching the much more macho and eager opposition players warming up in the torrential downpour. Wallies

As soon as the rain passed over, Wulfs sprung off their seats, showing how warming up is really done – hitting the ball off the back board really hard so it makes a loud bang and the other team get scared.

The game commenced and Wulfs immediately looked on the back foot. After a few minutes, an uncharacteristic mistake from Birch saw him play the ball straight to a Bridgenorth striker on the top of the D who gladly took the gift and slotted the ball past Colin, into the right corner.

Wulfs continued to struggle from there, finding it difficult to get control of midfield as the opposition harried and pressed. However, despite Bridgenorth creating more than a few chances, Wulfs managed to keep them at bay for a long period after that first goal thanks to some resolute defending from the salt n pepper haired back line.

The pressure eventually told though, as a pass from the twenty-five found a Brigenorth player inside the D who skilfully lifted the ball over Pearson with one touch to make it 2-0.

It could have gone downhill rapidly from there, but Wulfs somehow found a goal just before halftime. A quick break culminated in Sam Aldersley finding possession on the left side of the D and he managed to work the ball inside to Birch who fired home from close range. 2-1

After the break, Wulfs seemed a different team from the efforts of the first half, where it looked as though a few too many pints of real ale had taken their toll on match fitness – Dave Cartwright even complaining at halftime of temporary vision loss after a couple of over exuberant sprints. Yet Wulfs seemed to gain their sea-legs and string some passes together in the second half, making for a much competitive encounter.

When the ball came to Ed Hole on fifty minutes, he looked up and sent a trademark hit straight to birch on top of the D who rounded the rushing keeper and finished to make it 2-2.

The game continued in the same competitive vain, and it looked as though Wulfs would earn a hard earned point against a good side. But then, it in last minutes, Ashworth collected the ball on the right wing and attempted to find the forward run of Birch with a ‘worldy’ aerial pass. However, the pass was over-egged and went out of play inside the Bridgenorth half. The opposition then quickly played out from there, breaking into the Wulfs D and eventually converting a rebound with seconds to go. Whoops.

A cruel result, but a lesson learned. 3-2 final score. Man of the Match - Simon Palmer

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards