Summer League Vs Stafford

Date 27 July 2016
Team Summer League
Opposition Stafford
Fixture Home
Venue Wolverhampton Grammar School
Start time 19:30
Result W 5 - 2
Time played
Match Report

Old Wulfrunians 5 – 2 Stafford

This was to be Old Wulfs last game of summer league and they were looking to build on their recent good performances.

Old Wulfs were also out for revenge against Stafford as they had put 9 past an under strength Old Wulfs team in the previous match. Old Wulfs pressed Stafford early on and were forcing them into basic errors, these errors led to Old Wulfs creating chances on goal. One such error saw the Stafford goal keeper attempt to clear an Abalrd through ball and ended up kicking it against Birch’s stick. The rebound fell straight to Will who rolled the ball into an empty net 1-0.

Old Wulfs second of the game came from a short corner. Birch’s strike was miss hit and looked to be going wide until Abalrd diverted the ball in through his legs for 2-0. Old Wulfs were full of confidence and were crating chance after chance as Stafford could not keep up with the pace of the game, however Stafford still provided a threat on the break, but when ever Stafford got in and around the Old Wulfs Dee the defence stood strong and any half chances on goal Luke cleared his lines. 3-0 came when Litchy latched on to a ball in the Dee and beat the keeper at the near post. 3-0 at half time.

The half time team talk focused on how we could improve more and not concede goals such as the team did against Cannock the previous week, considering Old Wulfs threw away a 3-0 lead in the last match. An early short corner saw Stafford scramble in a goal after a Luke and the defence had made several saves and clearances 3-1, the defence was not helped in the short corner by Dave “the bullet” Cartwright. Dave got twitchy on the line and broke early forcing the umpire to send him to the half way line. Not phased by Stafford scoring Old Wulfs continued to press and got a 4th after slick passing move found George running in on goal and calmly slotting the ball through the keepers legs 4-1. Stafford scored a fortunate second after another short corner. The initial shot seemed a little high before Dave Cartwright on the Line deflected it into the roof of the goal 4-2.

With around 10 minutes to go Ben Humpherson had to go off with a rib injury after a Stafford player attempting to win the ball through Ben’s body colliding with him, no card or apology was given. During the moment of pause as Ben was recovering from his injury and getting to his feet George collect a 5 minute yellow card from the umpire for insulting them. Despite Old Wulfs being down to 10 men they passed the ball around at pace keeping it moving, taking one or two touches and retaining possession. Upon Georges return to the pitch he was immediately among the goals again, an intercept from Litchy, saw him make a nice early pass to George, he spun in the Dee to create some space and move away from the keeper before putting the ball into the goal 5-2.

A much deserved win 5-2 the final score.

Goal Scorers Darryl Ablard Matthew Litchfield Will Ashworth George Jandu x2

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards